Milton Park, Oxfordshire
Established in 2001, Commerce Decisions (part of Harris Computer) is seeking a motivated and diligent Senior Software Developer to join its growing team delivering Java based Software as a Service solutions. The successful candidate will be able to either work remotely, or from our headquarters in Milton Park, Oxfordshire.
This is an exciting time to be joining our team, as we move to the next phase with our software development, expanding our offerings and exploring the latest technologies. The successful candidate will be passionate about delivering world-class software to our international clients and must be enthusiastic to expand and refine their skillset, in order to contribute to the agile development of our software.
The successful candidate will learn our service offerings, developing a deep knowledge of our applications, and work to deliver high quality improvements to get the best from our products and services. The successful candidate will bring with them a deep understanding of Spring and be able to share this knowledge with the other members of the team.
While the role will primarily focus on the development of Commerce Decisions’ software offering, we are a relatively small team, and it’s everyone’s job to make the team and the wider business work effectively. The successful candidate will be someone who will step up to help the team and the business, while pro-actively delivering business goals with the highest level of quality and professionalism, and adopting a flexible, hands on attitude.
Specific skills and characteristics we are seeking in the successful candidate include:
- Expert knowledge of Spring / Spring Boot, in particular the Core, Data, Security, and Web modules
- Experience delivering client-facing web services using Spring REST controllers
- Knowledge of Java 8+
- A deep understanding of object-orientation, patterns, and software design
- Experience configuring projects’ Maven builds
- A good understanding of relational databases and SQL in the context of software development
- Experience with Docker and cloud platforms is desirable, but not essential
- Familiarity with Vue/Nuxt, Vuetify, and/or Oauth would be beneficial
- A proactive approach to ensuring tasks assigned are completed to a high standard
- An understanding of information security and the types of security controls that can be used to mitigate security threats within solutions and services
- High levels of professionalism and communication skills and the willingness to provide efficient and effective support when dealing with other employees
- A desire to learn and grow both in terms of IT and product knowledge, and in terms of emerging technologies and methodologies
- A willingness for collaboration across our business, to build and maintain bridges with our sales and services operations
Overall, we are seeking a candidate who is a self-motivated developer, with an interest in emerging technologies and the willingness to drive our product forward. We are seeking someone who is passionate about delivering high quality software, as well as working with the rest of the development team to ensure design goals and business objectives are achieved.
Responsibilities and specific activities you are likely to be engaged in include:
- Contribute to the development of Commerce Decisions’ software, working with the rest of the development team to follow our best practice approach for developer testing, developing/improving unit and integration tests, applying peer review processes, and delivering software of the highest quality that meets design goals
- Advise the Lead Architect on advancements in technology that may need to be incorporated into our software
- Develop a deep understanding of our software and how it is used by customers to ensure our work is constantly geared towards supporting and improving our capability
- Attend design meetings and reviews in both a technical and use-case driven capacity
- Attend and contribute to the daily stand up, work planning, and retrospective sessions
- Willingness to provide support to the Help Desk and IT Operations Manager in order to resolve customer issues
A competitive salary and benefits are offered. Whilst all staff are expected to focus on providing the highest levels of professionalism and adopt a flexible, can-do attitude, we also have a culture of having fun and place importance on work-life balance.
Commerce Decisions provides specialist procurement software – AWARD® – to clients involved in strategic procurement programmes. Our solutions and services span the lifecycle of the procurement process from development of a procurement strategy, through specification of the requirement and design of the scoring mechanism, to the evaluation itself and the subsequent analysis and reporting. Commerce Decisions is an acknowledged leader in the application of best practice evaluation and procurement techniques for government and private sector clients involved in strategic procurement, as well as in the deployment of the AWARD® software. We have an enviable client base across a wide spectrum of industries including transport, defence, infrastructure, telecoms, health and education.
Should you wish to apply for this position, please email your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org